Conflict Resolution 101
Conflict is a natural part of life. Managing conflict in a healthy way helps strengthen our relationships with the people we care about. Watch the video below to learn 5 quick tips for resolving conflict successfully.
5 Tips for Resolving Conflicts
- Focus on the issue being discussed: Bringing up old mistakes can get in the way of finding a solution.
- Recognize and control your feelings: During an argument, take a moment to collect your thoughts and feelings. Then, respond in a calm and respectful manner.
- Be willing to forgive: Throughout life, we all make mistakes. The end goal of conflict resolution is to strengthen the relationship. That may mean asking for forgiveness and forgiving others’ mistakes!
- Don’t just listen, but hear: Keep an open mind when another person is telling their side of the story. Actively listen to understand their point of view.
- Negotiate and compromise: People’s ideas or perspectives may be different from yours. Remember to take others’ thoughts into consideration and work towards a compromise.